- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes)
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
Pick over the lentils, removing any stones or misshapen or discolored lentils. Rinse
thoroughly and place in a
non-reactive deep pot. Add the chicken broth or water, turmeric,
garam masala, ginger, and tomatoes bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes until the lentils are
Remove from the heat and, working in batches, puree in a food processor fitted with the metal blade or blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pot, stir in the milk and salt, and heat until piping hot. Simmer gently over low heat while you finish the recipe.
In a skillet over high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes until the onions are brown.
To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and sprinkle generously with black pepper. Divide the onion mixture among the bowls, sprinkle with cilantro, if desired, and serve at once.